Custom Modem/Router combo EDPNet

Hier kan je alles kwijt over EDPnet
Plaats reactie
gentleman
Starter
Starter
Uitgedeelde bedankjes: 3 keer

I hope you don't mind me going for english here, I barely speak dutch

I moved to Ghent recently, so I'm choosing my ISP, and narrowed it down to Orange or EDPNet. I don't care about TV subscription, so I'm most likely going for EDPNet, but their modem/router offer is pretty shit (quality/price), at least from some of the reviews I saw about the Fritzbox.

I also checked my line, it supports VDSL.

Have anyone tried to setup a separate modem/router with EDPNet? Is it too complicated and how is the customer support if you choose to set it up yourself?

If anyone is wondering, I might go for Netgear CM500, and choose a WiFi router later. Would it be supported? Is there like a list of supported modems by EDPNet?
philippe_d
Uitgedeelde bedankjes: 923 keer
Bedankt: 3349 keer
Recent bedankt: 4 keer

Edpnet is a VDSL2 supplier (over Copper wire).
The moden you are refering to, is a DOCSIS modem (over coax).
This cannot be used for VDSL2.

Note that you only can use a (very limited) number of "Proximus whitelisted" VDSL2 modems).
VoIP: WeePee (vaste nummers geporteerd), Sipgate.de, Sipgate.co.uk, MegaVoip (uitgaand België).
Provider: Proximus Fiber Essential (50/8 mbps down/up).
Modem/Router: Fritz!Box 7590 int, OS 07.50, aangesloten op Proximus ONT (VLAN20).
Telefoon centrale: Euracom 181 achter FritzBox So.
TV: Telenet CI+, Fritz!DVB-C.
butskristof
Elite Poster
Elite Poster
Uitgedeelde bedankjes: 478 keer
Bedankt: 110 keer

Hi,

I'm the one who directed you here from Reddit.

Like I said earlier, I think Proximus uses a whitelist based system for allowed devices on their network. Those FritzBoxes EDPNet offer are on there (EDPNet uses the Proximus network by the way), but I'm not sure what other devices are allowed. Someone here will probably be better informed.

As for the Netgear you mentioned: that'll surely be impossible since it's a cable modem. EDPNet uses the telephone wire network (copper) of Proximus, so you'll need a VDSL2 modem.
Only Telenet and Orange offer cable based telecom here (and Orange uses Telenet's network), but also only with their modems.

You can always just put the offered modem in bridge mode and put whatever router you like behind that.
petzl
Elite Poster
Elite Poster
Uitgedeelde bedankjes: 1 keer
Bedankt: 83 keer

I use a fritsbox in bride mode with a mikrotik router, bridge function is only possible on port 4! if using standard firmware.
Afbeelding
gentleman
Starter
Starter
Uitgedeelde bedankjes: 3 keer

petzl schreef:I use a fritsbox in bride mode with a mikrotik router, bridge function is only possible on port 4! if using standard firmware.
Which fristbox version do you have?

philippe_d schreef: Note that you only can use a (very limited) number of "Proximus whitelisted" VDSL2 modems).
Where can I find the list of the whitelisted supported VDSL2 modems?

butskristof schreef: You can always just put the offered modem in bridge mode and put whatever router you like behind that.
I think it's the safest options, I'll try to check their compatible modem selection.
boonpwnz
Elite Poster
Elite Poster
Uitgedeelde bedankjes: 84 keer
Bedankt: 153 keer
Recent bedankt: 5 keer

petrol242
Elite Poster
Elite Poster
Uitgedeelde bedankjes: 85 keer
Bedankt: 260 keer

Whitelist Proximus :

Fritzbox 7490 international version
Fritzbox 3490 international version
Fritzbox 7360 international version
Fritzbox 7430 international version

Of course the bbox 2 and 3 (Proximus standard devices)
The clone of the bbox2 (sagem fast 3464)
O-box3 used by Scarlet

That's it. If vectoring is applied in the DSLAM, only the whitelist is allowed.
nickz
Elite Poster
Elite Poster
Uitgedeelde bedankjes: 178 keer
Bedankt: 220 keer

gentleman schreef:their modem/router offer is pretty shit (quality/price), at least from some of the reviews I saw about the Fritzbox.
I don't know what kind of reviews you read, but FRITZ!Box modems are high quality products from the German brand AVM. The high-end model 7490 is a bit pricey, but at least it's no cheap China crap. If you get a Proximus or Scarlet connection, you will get their own b-box/o-box 3 modem (you don't have to buy it), but many people over here prefer the FRITZ!Box modems.
Laatst gewijzigd door nickz 16 aug 2017, 13:07, in totaal 1 gewijzigd.
petrol242
Elite Poster
Elite Poster
Uitgedeelde bedankjes: 85 keer
Bedankt: 260 keer

I did not want to comment on your position regarding the Fritzbox first. Because I believe everyone must have his neutral choice on what he is willing to use.

But I have to agree with nickz. The Fritzbox came on the Proximus whitelist because of the efforts Edpnet made to get them approved on the Proximus network. Edpnet believes in these excellent devices. True, they are not cheap, but that's for a reason.

What you can do is look into the features of the different Fritzbox models on the list and get yourself (a second hand) one. If you are not sattisfied, you can always use it in bridge mode as a modem-only and use whatever router you like.
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “EDPnet (LaTribu)”